Register  |   |   |  Calendar  |  Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 3,096
Reply with quote  #1 
How to file a "Contempt of Court"

The first step is to fill out a "Contempt" form explaining why the court needs to intervene.  If you do not have an attorney and want to represent yourself, you may download a FREE "Contempt" form on our website under "Free Legal Forms."

Second, you must file the "Contempt" form with the courthouse having jurisdiction.  Please understand that a filing fee will be assessed and I believe it is around $50.00.

Third, you will need to have the sheriff serve notice to your ex.  Again, there is a fee associated with this service and payable only with cash.  I believe this service is around $35.00.  Upon your ex being served notice, you will receive a confirmation.

Lastly, you need to plan for your court hearing.  It's very important to be organized, dressed appropriately, and polite to the court.  Have all of your questions and materials ready to present.  Have copies available for the opposing counsel and yourself because you will submit the originals to the court.  

P.O. Box 2884
Waterloo, IA 50704-2884
Visit us on facebook under Groups: Iowa Fathers

"Political reasons have not the requisite certainty to afford juridical interpretation. They are different in different men. They are different in the same men at different times. And when a strict interpretation of the Constitution, according to the fixed rules which govern the interpretation of laws, is abandoned, and the theoretical opinions of individuals are allowed to control its meaning, we have no longer a Constitution; we are under a government of individual men, who for the time being have the power to declare what the Constitution is, according to their own views of that it ought to mean." Dred Scott v.Sanford, 19 How. 393, 620 (1857) (Curtis, J., dissenting).

Avatar / Picture

VIP Member
Posts: 271
Reply with quote  #2 
This is a GREAT source of information!!! If at all possible, you should provide more information along these lines because fathers need to know how to represent themselves when unjust things happen.
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America" – former President William Jefferson Clinton

Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #3 

I see that this post is kind of old (2005).  Is the procedure still the same or has it changed in recent years?  


Also can anyone provide any advice when it comes to filling out the Contempt form?  My situation is fairly strait forward.  I live in California.  My children live with their mother in Iowa.  I am entitled to visitation during the children's spring break.  My ex-wife and I agreed on dates and plane tickets were purchased by me.  However, the kids did not get on the plane.  The ex-wife now claims that she delivered the kids to the airport but the kids chose not to travel.


I am intending to file contempt of court and to accomplish all of the legwork myself up to the point of the court hearing at which time I will re-employ my attorney.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!